Yes, With many People raising Rabbits, and the popularity of Having them in your Homes are increasing exposure the major Rabbit Breeders we have Researched all suggest Using Gloves when Handling your Rabbits. Also, Have your Rabbits Nails Clipped. The Reasons below will explain why and some of the consequences of Rabbit Scratches
When do Rabbits Scratch
- Scared High Stress
- Giving Birth
- Large Teeth and Nails
- Hormones – sprayed or Neutered
- Scared of human hands
- Need Nails Clipped
Can Rabbit Scratches Make you Sick
Yes, Rabbit scratches can Carry Bacteria and germs that can make you sick. One of the Diseases that can be Transmitted is
Tularemia can be Transmitted from a Rabbit Scratch to People / Mayo Clinic
Tularemia is a rare infectious disease that infects the skin, the eyes can form lesions. It also is known as Rabbit Fever or also Deer Fly Fever. It also is contagious properties to many other small animals – Hamsters – Dogs – Cats – Birds – sheep – Rodents
Tularemia can be spread to people through Animal Scratches, insect bites from contaminated animals. It also can be fatal if not found early and treated
It is treated with Antibiotics – signs of having contracted the disease from an infected animal. Symptoms can arise within 3-5 days. There are 3 Types and below are some of the Symptoms
- Ulcer under the skin at the site of infection
- Swollen Lymph Glands
- Eye Pain
- Eye Swelling
- Eye Drainage
- Ulcer on side of the eye
- Sensitivity of Light
- Throat Pain
- Mouth Ulcers
- Chest Pain
We would suggest that any Thoughts that you might be infected please go to your see your local doctor and explain how you think that you might have been infected
Rabbits can Transmit Ringworm to People
In Rabbits Ringworm typically show up in Rabbits Ears, Face, and Head. It can be passed to breeders, and children through handling an infected Bunny.
As far as Symptoms the rabbit develops red itchy spots have areas of hair loss. The skin also gets dry and crusty, looking lack scabs.
Ringworm is also a fungus, not a parasite. It is a fungal infection in the Skin. The fungus eats Keraton, which is only in the highest levels in skin, scalp, and hair.
Pasteurella Multocida in Rabbits / Humans
When it does it is accompanied by Fever and Nasal Discharge, sneezing mucous having a yellowy appearance. It colonizes in the Rabbits nasal cavity. Veterinarians treat it with a round of Antibiotics for 14 – 30 Days.
- Local Wound Infection – from contact with infected Rabbit.
- Usually following a bite or scratch
- Sometimes discharge of Pus
- Complications in Children can show up as arthritis
- In People, it can also cause – meningitis
- ocular infections – Eye Infections
- respiratory infections
- happens in People with a weakness of Pulmonary Diseases
- Treatment in Humans is same as Rabbits – Oral Antibiotics
Cryptosporidiosis in Rabbit Poop
is an intestinal parasite that is acquired by contact and accidental ingestion of fecal material from infected animals. It is a diarrheal disease and the Eating of Rabbit Poop will allow this parisite to be Passed on to People
- CDC Cases Carried by Water and Rabbits in UK 2007 Check out CDC
- Symptoms Include – from Mayo Clinic Check out Mayo Clinic
- Watery Diarrhea
- Lack of Appetite
- Weight Loss
- Stomach cramps or pain
Yes, Rabbit Urine can Make you sick the Encephalitozoon Cuniculi parisite is Passed through Spores in The Infected Rabbit Urine. It is an Internal Parasite that occurs in Pet Rabbits. It Most often infects the Brain, and Kidneys, Symptoms in Rabbits are Head Tilt, Hind Limb Paralysis.
- Cases have been reported all over the World
- rare in Healthy People
- Shows most often in People with Weakened Immune systems
Is Rabbit Hair Bad for Humans
Allergies to hair dander and Slavia can activate people’s allergy. A person’s eyes will start watering, coughing swollen eyes, runny nose.
Any animal with Fur can trigger a person’s allergies. Rabbits also shed an abundance of fur. With caused you to scratch your nose a lot.
If you have an Allergy to your Bunny. Severe allergies could be Life-Threatening. But if not that severe the Rabbit Society Has put out These Suggestions
- Minimize Direct Contact
- Have Rabbit Free Rooms
- Clean frequently
- Use indoor air Filtration Unit
- Try Allergy Neutralizers
- try Allergy Medication
Is Rabbit Poop Harmful to Humans
- Round Worms
Symptoms of Rabbits that have Disease or Parasites
- Sensitivity to light
- shaking of head
- Weight Loss
- Parisite eggs in poop
- loss of sense of balance
Is Rabbit Poop Unsanitary
Yes, rabbit poop is very unsanitary. It may contain infectious spores. It might also contain parasite eggs that can be passed to other Rabbits, pollute a Water supply, or infect people. Clean and sanitary Rabbit Management Principles should be put in place. It will reduce
- Disease in your Rabbits
- Reduce of Human Contamination
- reduces Order
- Reduces Fly and Maggot Problems
Can Humans Eat Rabbit Poop
Yes, But Common Sense needs to be injected here, There is not a lot of evidence of Diseases that can be contracted from eating Rabbit Poop. The Human Intestinal tract will disinfect and kill most things that will harm it.
It is a separate system, that travels from the mouth out your bottom. Rabbit poop may carry parasite eggs. Which in their life cycles they then hatch ib new host and set up residence – the biggest culprits seem to be tapeworms and Roundworms.
Is Rabbit Poop Toxic to Humans
No, Rabbit Poo is not toxic to humans – I don’t know in any way shape or form would we suggest eating rabbit poop. The suggestion we would have is instead of eating rabbit poop. We would suggest rabbit meat.
My family raised rabbits while we were growing up and the small herd of rabbits we had provided meat for us and our neighbors all year long.
Rabbit Poop can be used as compost and Worms love to eat it.
Does Rabbit Urine cause Infertility
No, but this thought goes back to the Pregnancy test that was developed for human ladies at the time. Iy was in the 1920’s –
The Test included of injecting the urine of a human woman into a female Rabbit. When a woman is pregnant they have hormones that are there when they are pregnant. So when they injected them into a female rabbit. The effect that was seen in the Doe Rabbit could be seen in
- Ovaries of the Rabbit would swell
- Turning Bright Yellow
- Unfortunately, to determine the results of the test – they had to kill the Rabbit to see results
- The Rabbit was killed whether the human lady was pregnant or not – Sad
- They also used Mice and Rats in those test
- They also used frogs
- Later development in this test they got where they did not have to sacrifice their lives
- The Hormone they were testing for – HCG – they still test for pregnancy using this hormone – with better test
- In the late 1970 several Television shows put forth the relationship between Rabbits and Being Pregnant.
Does rabbit Urine cause cancer
No, There is no Research to Support this. We have seen cases where people have become infected inf they have compromised immune systems. Parisite Encephalitozoon cuniculi can cause infection in the brain.
- Spores of this infection can be present in Rabbits urine during the first initial exposure in the Rabbots – but after initial infection, the Bacteria only puts off spores intermittently
- This Disease can be shed in the normal animals and humans with a healthy immune system
- Very hard to test for this in Rabbits
- Antibody test will show antibodies but that could have been in any part of the rabbits earlier life
- Spores in urine are intermittent so it is very hard to detect
- Can be Detected today by a blood test of infected animals
- Parisite can be passed on Thru the Urine of Infected animal
Symptoms in Rabbits, Animals, and People of the Parasite Encephalitozoon Cuniculi
- The weakness of hind Legs
- Head Tilt
- Urinary Incontinence
- Renal Failure